Our dental professionals are happy to provide information about basic dental care to help you improve your at-home dental routine. We welcome you to explore the information we have provided, and invite you to call our office at 810-720-6433 with any questions and to schedule your appointment with one of our caring dentists in Flint, Michigan.
How can I take care of my smile between dental checkups?
It is recommended that you visit the dentist every six months for a routine cleaning and exam. In the months between these appointments, you should do your best to take care of your teeth. A good at-home dental care routine includes the following:
- Brush and floss your teeth every day. You should brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Maintain a balanced, healthy diet with a limited amount of very sugary or acidic foods. You should also avoid tobacco, which can cause periodontal (gum) disease, oral cancer, and will most likely stain your teeth.
- Visit our office at least twice a year for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam.
- Ask our dentist about dental sealants and fluoride treatment to see if they are right for your smile.
If you have questions about how to take care of your teeth, please call Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Flint for more information or to schedule your appointment with our dental professionals in Flint, Michigan.
What causes tooth decay?
Sugars and starches from your food can combine with plaque to form an acid. This acid corrodes the enamel of your teeth, leading to tooth decay. Brushing, flossing, and receiving dental checkups regularly helps fight this decay and reduces your chances of developing cavities. Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Flint welcomes you to call our office to learn more about tooth decay and to make your appointment with one of our experienced dentists in Flint, Michigan.
Why are my teeth sensitive?
Tooth sensitivity is actually a common problem. Many of our patients have experienced tooth sensitivity when coming into contact with hot or cold foods and temperatures. Luckily, treatments exist which can help alleviate pain and discomfort caused by sensitive teeth. Call us today to learn more about Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Flint’s treatments for sensitive teeth and make your appointment with one of our dentists in Flint, Michigan.
What is gum disease? What are its symptoms?
Periodontal, or gum, disease is a dental condition that damages your gums, and can eventually cause you to loose teeth if left untreated. If you notice swelling, redness, or bleeding in your gums, call Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Flint as soon as possible to make an appointment with one of our dentists. We can diagnose gum disease and help you receive treatments to restore your oral health.
How does fluoride work?
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral. It uses a “remineralization” process to strengthen your teeth and help provide protection against cavities and decay. We recommend that you receive a fluoride treatment every six months as part of your regular dental cleaning and exam. Call 810-720-6433 today to learn more about fluoride in Flint, Michigan, and schedule your appointment with one of Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Flint’s friendly dentists!
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
Oral cancer is easily treatable if diagnosed early. If left untreated, it can threaten not only both your oral health and your life. Signs of oral cancer include:
- Sores in or near the mouth that do not heal within two weeks and bleed easily.
- The development of a lump, bump, crust, or eroded area in or near your mouth.
- White, red, or speckled whiten and red patches in the mouth.
- A constant feeling of something caught in your throat.
- A chronic sore or hoarse throat.
- Difficulty in chewing, swallowing, or moving the tongue or jaw.
- Unexplained numbness or loss of feeling in the tongue or other parts of your mouth.
- Swelling in your jaw or neck that lasts more than 3 weeks.
- Loose teeth.
If you are concerned about oral cancer in Flint, Michigan, please call Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Flint at 810-720-6433 as soon as possible to schedule an appointment with one of our dentists.