Bad breath is often a symptom of a deeper underlying illness. Bad breath, often called halitosis, is the result of foul odors coming from your smile. These odors are often caused by bacterial buildup within your mouth, but can also be the result of something worse. Listed below are a few facts you should know about bad breath to help you understand what may be the cause of yours:
– Bad breath is most often triggered by improper brushing and flossing, or lack thereof.
– Respiratory tract infections and kidney and liver issues can create bad breath.
– One of the best treatments for bad breath is mouthwash, as it can help wash away harmful bacteria and food deposits that are the cause of many bad breath issues.
– Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, can create bad breath.
– Avoid unpleasant habits that can contribute to bad breath, such as smoking or chewing tobacco.
– Bad oral hygiene can cause bad breath, specifically the stockpile of plaque in your mouth.
– Medications that produce dry mouth as a symptom can create bad breath.
To prevent bad breath, make sure you are following the aforementioned treatment techniques for a healthy smile that can last a lifetime. If you would like Dr. Steven Rodriguez and our team at Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Flint to bring you in for an oral exam or professional cleaning, please contact our dentist office in Flint, Michigan, by calling us at 810-720-6433. Have a fantastic day!